Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

one of my heroes


Adrienne

God knew her mother had warned her, so many times she’d lost count. And every time he pulled another stunt Adrienne could hear her mother’s voice, “For God’s sake, Adrienne, all you have to do is look at those eyes to know he’s no good.” And she supposed she knew it was true. She just hadn’t wanted to admit it. If she admitted to the possibility then she might have to do something. And she didn’t want to do anything. But…but this was bad, real bad. Why had he even told her? She didn’t want to know. She’d told him that, told him not to tell her anything.
     “But I need you on this,” he’d said.
     Oh, God, what should she do? She couldn’t leave him, not now. It was too late for that. Besides, he said when it was over they’d go away, just the two of them, make a life for themselves out west where no one knew anything about them.
     “Adrienne, if I told you once I told you a hundred times; stay away from that boy! He’ll bring you nothing but heartache and trouble.”
     But I can’t, ma, I’m all he’s got and I love him too much to leave.




Now it's your turn - unless you want more of me...

3 comments:

Huntress said...

I started to skim. Then stopped, backed up and began reading again.

And fell into the story like a whirlpool had pulled me into the center.

Great job.

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

An intriquing post that leaves me wondering so many things about the guy. If he needs her so much, is he co-dependent? That does lead to problems, especially when the girl is willing to go anywhere or do anything for him.

I curious as to what's next!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be back!

Jennifer said...

Love this! I'm certainly interested.