Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grammar Help

Proper grammar is important for a writer. It’s one of those things that’ll make me put down a book and not pick it up again. (I’d think that if someone wasn’t sure of their grammar they’d find a good editor, but alas, many don’t. I’ve stumbled across so many books with run on sentences, missing words, misused words…)

A good editor is a must, of course. We all miss some things. And most of the time, it’s easy to tell a random typo as opposed to someone who is missing the basics of knowing how to construct their writing. But sometimes there are things we’re not sure of. (Only me? I can’t be the only one.)

While there are many books on the subject (as there are English classes), I’m focusing on links this week. So, here are a few I’ve gathered.
Have I missed any good sites? Do you seek help for your grammar?

8 comments:

mshatch said...

I'll wager most of those books you put down were either self-pubbed or small pub. I almost never find grammar issues in books that come from the bigger publishers because their editors don't let that crap fly. And this is why I'm reluctant to go that route because I know my grammar isn't English teacher perfect. Thank God I have an English teacher as one of my crit partners!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love my editor. Her grammar is amazing.

LD Masterson said...

Most of the time I can trust my ear to tell me if I've committed a grammatical error. Unfortunately, I can't "hear" punctuation.

Liz A. said...

Yes, true.

Liz A. said...

A good editor would be the best way to go.

Liz A. said...

Yeah, a good ear helps.

Andrew Leon said...

I'm pretty competent with my grammar. So far, I haven't been able to find an editor that I wouldn't have to go back and correct. At least not in my price range. Mostly, I'd just like to have an editor so that I don't have to do it, because I'd rather be writing my next project than editing my last project.

Liz A. said...

That would be nice.