Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Important Back Third

On Monday, Alicia commented: 
I don't generally end up finishing the really bad [books]. I can learn from the good ones as well...and I have precious little time enough to read to be wasting my time reading bad books! :D
And it's true for me too. If a book is really terrible, I won't bother to finish it. But the ones I have finished have taught me another really important lesson.

I downloaded a free novel that had an interesting description. I was enjoying the story. The plot was fairly predictable, but there are many times when I just want something comforting and predictable to read. But a little over halfway through, I noticed something strange.

While before there had been a couple minor typos, towards the end, more typos cropped up. And then there was a glaring grammar error. Then a sentence that didn't quite make sense.

(And then I was whacked upside the head with a ludicrous plot development, but that's beside the point.)

The first two-thirds of the book were pretty well done. The last third looked as if the editor got bored or tired and kind of gave up.

Since then, I've noticed a few books with this same problem. It starts off good. But once I'm into the story and nearing the end, the editing problems start to crop up.

I know it's important to make sure the first chapter is spotless. Beginnings are vital to hooking a reader and keeping him/her reading. But endings are important, too. And the later chapters of a book need just as much care and attention as the earlier ones.

How careful are you with the later chapters of your books?

2 comments:

Alicia Willette-Cook said...

Hey! I'm famous! :D

So far...As I've only gotten the first few chapters written...I can only say that I will be writing with the same care all the way through if only because I will personally need the story to hold my interest.

And I have a feeling my CP's will kick my ass into next monday if the story loses it's oomph.

Liz A. said...

I think part of the problem of the ones I read was that they didn't have CPs. At least, I hope they didn't (CPs should have caught some of these mistakes).