Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Interview with Angela Kelly, Musa Publishing

Until Angela Kelly, editor at Musa Publishing, became a part of my writerly family, I had no concept of the word dedicated. When an editor joins the author, immerses themselves into their world, they become a partner. No one hears the Voices, lives the dream, or talks to the characters like old friends except your editor. Your dream becomes theirs, and a part of that dream belongs to them.

What do you represent?
I represent Spec-fic, which includes fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian, utopian, apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, alternate history, steampunk, supernatural and those strange stories that are just a little hard to classify.
What are you looking for right now?
I'm looking for stories that amaze or excite me.  Scare me, show me how the world would be different if just one little thing had happened differently in the past.  Stories that make me think, especially if they make me think, "What if?" or "Why not?".  Stories that make me feel and that move me.  Strong protagonists that make me wish they were my best friends.  A writing style that draws me in and makes me live in that world, that makes me wish the story would never end.  And when it does end, I want to feel like I just have to go back to visit that world or see those characters again.  I want to feel a little sad when the story ends, not necessarily because it has a sad ending, but because the story's over and I know I'm going to miss those characters.  I guess my biggest thing is that I just want a good story!

How did you decide to get into editing/publishing?
Do you want me to tell you the truth or do you want me to lie to you? I’m sure I could come up with some fantastical lie (after all, fiction writers tell lies for a living. I think Stephen King said that.) that would be far more exciting and entertaining. Perhaps I was abducted by aliens and was told that I had to become an editor to prevent an intergalactic war that would destroy Earth. No? Yeah, that plot needs some serious work, so I’ll stick to the truth. For me it started with reading. I read everything I could get my hands on. Then I discovered early on that I also had the ability to write stories and the gift to write stories others wanted to read. Later I began critiquing the work of my fellow writers and I discovered that I enjoyed this side of the craft as well. Shortly after Musa’s launch, I started as a Submissions Assistant with Urania (Musa’s spec-fic imprint) reading submissions. After being in that position a little over a year, I was given the position of Submissions Acquisitions Editor. I enjoy helping writers polish their manuscripts and improve their craft. Helping them achieve their dreams and realize their goals brings me a great deal of happiness.

Why did you choose the publisher you are working with now?
I liked the vision the owners have for Musa and I wanted to be a part of that vision. The people I work with have definitely become a part of my family.

What’s your favorite part of the job?
There are so many things I enjoy, it’s hard to pick one thing as my favorite. I love being taken away to a new world, or seeing our world in a new way with a submission. I love making suggestions to an author that stirs their creative juices to help them see their story anew and helps them improve the story. I really love it when they’re able to take that suggestion and just run with it. I especially love it when I send an author an acceptance email and I can actually feel their excitement through cyberspace!

What is your current favorite book that you could read over and over?

Seriously? I have to pick one? I just can’t do that. I have a varied and extensive collection of books and I can’t say that there’s a single book that I’ve only read once!

1 comment:

Mary S. Palmer said...

A fascinating interview by a great editor. I'm proud to say that she's editing two of my books--Question of Time and Time Was. Her attention to detail goes way beyond the norm.

I love to work with someone so dedicated. It's a real pleasure.

Reading this gave me a new idea to include in my manuscript in progress, too.

Thanks, Angela