Writing, promotion, tips, and opinion. Pour a cuppa your favorite poison and join in.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Stuck: A Cold

If you've talked about writing on your blogs in the last couple months, you may have gotten a whiny comment from me about how my writing is not going. I may have mentioned chapter 20. Or I may have said something about "if I ever finish..."

I've been stuck. Since around the beginning of April. And now it's time to get unstuck.

And that's what I was going to do on Monday. I was going to sit down and work. It was going to be the perfect day for it. I had installers coming... (Satellite TV. Long story.) ...and since I had no TV and nothing but time...

Then I woke up Monday. With a head cold.

via GIPHY

(Also the reason there was no post on Tuesday.)

Sometimes it feels like the universe is out to get me.

But it isn't. Not really. It may feel like that, and that's perhaps why it happened. Other things have been going on, so the minute I had some down time, my body decided it was going to get its rest first.

And that's okay. Because if I feel like I'm never going to write again, I'm never going to write again. But I know my time is coming. I got back here to write a blog post, didn't I? So, success!

via GIPHY

When it's been a while, and when I feel the world is pushing my away from writing, any little progress is good. An avalanche only needs a little bit to get it going. Just a little start can get me moving again. I know it can.

So, start small. A blog post. A page of some random thoughts. That's all. Just a bit today. A bit more tomorrow. Soon, it'll be flowing again.

5 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I find a page of random thoughts can often help me get unstuck. I try to write down everything that pops into my head (story-related items, anyway) because I never know which one will prove to be the one to get me back on track.

Sorry about the cold...Hope you're feeling better and writing lots soon!

Nicola said...

Aaaww get well soon, Liz. Your mojo will come back, don't worry. Worrying just sets it further back. I think we've all been there. Just be kind to yourself and remember to do nice things for you. Sending you lots of healing power through the ether.

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, best wishes! I understand all to well about getting stuck on a story.

Liz A. said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling better today.

An Apel a Day said...

My husband got accepted into an artist residency in May. Yes I was excited for him. It most certainly made me put my art aside. I'm just now getting back into it.